Sunday 7 June 2020

Hillview Fishery Open

At long last back to fishing a match! It was actually very difficult to find a match as it seemed there was not many promoted (on facebook) and hence most venues were booked up by those in the know. I'm also having to stick to fishing at weekends as I'm still busy working at the moment, I know some people are not so lucky. I got in on this Saturday open due to Mark Jefferies fishing there the previous week and getting my name on the list, along with Kev Winstone.

I did a fair bit of preparation for the match which I thought would be on the canals, but in the event it was on the first two canals and Moorhen lake. At the draw it was all done well, everyone had to wear face masks, pay your pools in cash box, and then Keith pulled a peg out for each angler. Although not greatly prepared for the lake I wanted to draw on it as I often find it is the best for bigger weights due to the larger carp and F1's. Kev got end peg on canal 2, and Mark was a few pegs down from Kev. Keith drew me peg 53 on the right hand end of the first canal. I was not that pleased with the draw, the peg does have its day but it is quite shallow and generally I feel that the middle to left end is better. My best hope was if there were some resident carp in the swim down to the end bank. The bank opposite was fairly barren but with a nice little cut back.


The end bank which promised so much.


Set up comprised a few shallow rigs for slapping for F1's, but the wind that got up made that almost impossible, and for the first couple of hours I only had my topset plus 3 sections out on the bank. I had a 4x12 with 16 GPM to 0.13 for fishing soft pellet in the margin on a top set, another for fishing meat down to to the pallet, and right down to the end bank, but had 14 GPM to 0.15 on that. I did also have a rig for the deeper water in front (not much deeper) but never had a bite here. My plan was start short, and work my way out, and gradually move further down the margin if required. Good in theory lol.

The match started at 10:30 and looking to my left it seemed everyone began in their margins, I followed suit. It was a couple of feet deep by the reeds and I didn't start off that well here, plenty of fish but couldn't get one in the mouth, landed two foulers. I picked up one of my shallow rigs and went out with that, fish hooked in the mouth yay. I had a steady run here, whilst the guys to my left seemed to be catching quicker and F1's I had more carp. Suddenly the fish just went from being shallow, I went back onto the bottom and it was slow, but the fishing just got slower and slower. I had gone from thinking I was going to have a nice day bagging short to getting nothing. The angler to my left had struggled after early bagging and went to see the the guy on 49 who was still catching odd fish. 

I got more sections out as the wind seemed to calm down to just the odd gust where I was, and plumbed my swims up right across and down the far end margin. I did try top set plus one, and the LH margin before going over but not a sign. It wasn't long before I had signs of fish sucking the bare bank across, so I was happy, and I caught a few carp and a nice 3lb F1 here over an hour when this died just like the margin. It was very cold fishing, the air temperature dropped at times to 11C and we had some rain storms which I am sure cooled the water. I was really struggling for bites now, it was so slow, but it seemed the same for many. However, it got worse, and to cut a long story short I caught 1 F1 and 1 carp on meat with 2 hours to go, and had one more fish with 90 mins to go, and that was my last bite! The whole venue really switched off for everyone.

I knew I hadn't caught anywhere near enough to win my canal, but I weighed in anyway as I didn't want a DNW on my first match lol! I weighed exactly 50lb, the guy to my left DNW, and the lad on 49 had 70lb and he was able to catch in his margin and across next to an overhanging bush, though he was dry for the last hour. On the second canal it was also a struggle for many, Kev opposite me had 35lb, and Podge had 42lb, but the other end of the canal had a ton weight, The top four overall weights all came from the bottom end of Moorhen, with 160lb on peg 20, Gabe Skarba with 142lb on peg 4, 120lb on peg 6 and 110lb from the end peg I think it is 21.

It was nice to be back, I guess wind and rain is how I last recall fishing a match lol. I went for a 6 mile walk later afternoon evening today. Walked down to the River Avon at Keynsham and all the way down to the Chequers. River looked good and there was lots of fantastic wildlife, it was beautiful.


It will be nice to get back fishing on the river again soon, I don't worry about catching too much, it's about fishing for me and enjoying the surroundings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment