Sunday 16 May 2021

Ivy House Fishery - Old match lake

 If you read my blog last week you would have seen I ended it with I am not fishing next weekend. The various events that were planned all began to fall apart and that meant I would be free Sunday and could fish a match. With not much time left to plan anything I contacted Ivy House and decided tp try the old match lake this week. I asked a couple of anglers who I had noted had fished it recently, for some advice and I was given some pointers. Although a lot of common carp have been stocked into the lake between 1 and 3lb, and there are lots of other small carp, there are also larger carp up to 10lb and plenty of skimmers.

I got to the fishery and met up with fellow Bristolians Kev Winstone, Glenn Bailey and Mike Nicholls who were also fishing this lake. The weather was pleasant to start the day, though showers were forecast. I wasn't to sure of what was a good peg, but then found out that Ryan Shipp won this lake the day before with 120lb (much more than recent winning weights here) from peg 1, and peg 18 opposite was also favoured. I didn't get either of those and pulled out peg 13, was informed this was OK but not brilliant. Peg 1 was taken by Ryan's dad Vince Shipp, and peg 18 was Mark Poppleton who has done well on this lake. Kev was on peg 15, Glenn on 10 and Mike on 8, both had lots of room as they were end pegs on the day. For some reason I forgot to take some pictures of the lake today, doh, this lake has some islands that create gaps in between them, beyond pole range where I was. 

I set up a method feeder for the islands gap, a rig for the margin to my right at top set plus one (more than this and I couldn't see the float for foliage). A 4x12 rig for 8m with 16 SFLB to 0.13, and a 4x12 for 16m with 18 KKMB to 0.13 for hard pellet. I wasn't really sure where to start the match, but owner Andy Lloyd suggested pinging pellets at 16m was the best way forward. I decided to prime that whilst starting at 8m by feeding some micros and seeing what I could catch. The match began at 10:30 and starting at 8m proved fruitless with not a single indication! Meanwhile Mark Poppleton was already catching on the long pole, and Ryan was getting skimmers on the method feeder. I went out to 16m pinging pellets, I quickly had a bite and lost a fouler, and then missed about 4 bites. Eventually I hooked a bite and soon had a carp of 2lb in the net, and by the end of the hour I had 4 carp in the net for about 12lb. Bites really dried up soon after this and I only had 1 more carp and then I came off the pole. 

I gave the method feeder a go, had 2 skimmers and a little carp, but 2 skimmers pull off on the way back. The bites and indications also stopped here. The 16m pole line gave me just 1 more carp and it was never to happen here again for me.Half way through the match and with only another skimmer on the method I was well out of it. Kev was targeting skimmers and just getting the odd one, Ryan and MArk P looked to be doing the best at this stage. I was sure my chances of coin were over, so decided to try something and put some groundbait and red maggots in at 8m to get some bites, as well as micros, gbait and corn in the margins. First try over the gbait at 8m and I had a nice 1lb skimmer. Then the float would move around a tiny bit with liners but no bites, small fish or skimmers? I refed and then noticed Glenn getting decent carp on paste, and his bites were coming quickly. The 8m line began to pay dividends for me as I began to catch some carp over it, and they would show themselves as blows would appear. It was never frantic, and I had to refeed quite often but at least I was getting something to work out.

An hour to go and struggling again so I tried my margin, first two looks in on corn brought me 2 nice skimmers. Then a wait but eventually a 6lb carp. Despite a couple of definite liners not another fish came from here. I had another carp and a couple of small skimmers from the 8m to end the match. I thought I had about 60lb in total, not enough today. I weighed 62lb of which 15lb was skimmers.

My carp net below. It was good fishing this lake, and I know I was not up to speed with how to fish it, but I got a few in the end and should have knocked the pellet on the head sooner I guess.



Winner today was Glenn Bailey with 95lb 10oz, 2nd Mark Poppleton 87lb, 3rd Elick Payne 83lb 8oz.

Ryan Shipp won the silvers with 35lb 4oz, he had a very good last hour catching them on the pole short.


Full results below, the lake fished quite well today with weights up on recent matches, and I think tit will only get better. A few of us stopped off in the White Heart for a pint, it was bloody cold sat outside, when will a bit of warmth finally arrive!



No comments:

Post a Comment