Sunday 12 September 2021

Windmill Lake Fishery

 I had a nice few days away down in Poole last week, went down on the Sunday and myself and my wife were joined by the shining sun. Very lucky to go as it was a late decision which all hung on how well the mother in law was after getting out of hospital, it was a really good break and one that we both enjoyed and needed. I got to see some red squirrels on Brownsea Island as well as lots of great birds, we also walked all the way to Sandbanks just to see the beach and impressive houses. We will go back to Poole again as there many places to explore here. I may take a rod and try for the very large mullet that I saw.


On the way back we stopped to visit Shearwater lake and have a bite to eat at the cafe. There were absolute loads of carp and bream all in close and they seem to be attracted to me and followed me. The lake is shit at present and I found out the fish are being fed by the staff, so I reckon the carp were waiting for me to chuck in a load of pellets.

Back to fishing and I had no plans or matches this weekend, an early start to fish the KSD was not fancied so I didn't book (sounds like a good decision as I hear it is choked with duckweed), I was told about a match at Ivy House, but left that too late to get in. I really wanted to fish the river, but with low flows, and nice weather I expected that I would be pestered by either lots of other water users and pike. In the end I booked in for a gym class at 9am Sunday, did that one got home showered and decided to have a day at Windmill Fishery, probably my last carpy day for a while. The fishery is only 15 minutes from my home and all I hoped was that there was no club match on, the car park was busy on arrival but this was just pleasure anglers thankfully.

I pushed my trolley round to the other side of the lake where there seemed to be a few more empty swims, I found Gerry Welsh fishing on peg 4 and he said he had caught a few carp on meat but it wasn't frantic. I settled in on peg 6 which is a very nice peg where you an fish to the island just as it ends. Though it is 16m to the island I was only going to get 14.5m out today. The picture shows the island and I was going to fish a little clear spot between the trees and spiky grass. I set up a little dibber float with 0.17 to 16 KKM-B with 4 feet of line above the float, the plan was to swing the rig towards the bank. In the picture there is a carp on lol.

 


I fished here for a few hours, feeding 6mm pellets across by catty and it was decent for the first 90 minutes with regular carp coming out in the 4lb stamp fishing 9" deep. Then the indications slowed up and it became tricky, I had to alter my feeding and also changed to an 8mm pellet in the band. The fish I was now catching were 6lb+ and it was fun trying to trick them.


Gerry came down to see me and said he was struggling and wanted to see how I was bagging. Whilst he was there a fish larger than I thought went off to my left and inside and snagged me in some of those nasty sedges, I lost the rig so had to set up again. I carried on catching here but then had a mini disaster, I had not realised that my 13m section had come lose and the end of it cracked, bugger. I am sure it can be repaired but I didn't want to risk it breaking further so I packed it away. I was enjoying being out in the warm weather and as it wasn't a match I got another topset out and attached a 4x10 margin float for fishing hard pellet in the margins. Both left and right margins were the same depth so I could feed both sides with 6mm pellet, although the left would be easier to see the float and was closer to me.


I only took a picture of the LH margin as the light was poor to get a shot of the right side. I wasn't sure if the margins would be any good, it was about 1:45pm, but it was all I was going to do now. I concentrated on the left side to begin with and I was pleased when after about 10 mins I had my first carp from the margin. I had another 5 here and a bream that I think would have been close to 4lb, but the RH margin was doing nothing at all. The fish in the margin were a decent size as you would expect, and I think the smallest I had was 6lb.



The LH margin then went quiet, and from getting the odd tail pattern I had nothing, but thought a rest would do it good. However, the RH margin now came to life and fishing an 8mm in the band at times the bites were so good the elastic was pulled out before I struck. It wasn't solid, I had to wait for a fish to come into the margin, but the boils and tail patterns let you know when a carp was in the peg. Strangely the LH margin never gave me another fish, yet the RH side after a poor start was great. I could have carried on catching but wanted to get home by 6pm so I packed up at 5:15pm content with the day I had. The fish are in good nick in the match lake, and I was told that open matches will resume here on Sundays in a couple of weeks time.

I have a busy week ahead with a few days working in Nottingham and then various activities keeping me occupied right until Saturday! Luckily I put some river prep work in during the previous week as I am fishing the commercial house next Sunday on the Bristol Avon round Keynsham. Not enough rain in the forecast to improve the river I feel, but I hope the match will be kind to me as it will be my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment