Sunday 4 December 2022

Windmill Fishery Open



 The last two weekends I’ve not been fishing as I’ve been busy with family stuff and a Rovers match that was less than inspiring, plus the river was up and flooded. There was nothing I could do on the river this weekend and so I booked in to fish at Windmill, I thought it would be a bit hard.

I woke up Sunday with heavy cold, it had been coming on Saturday, and I thought to myself do I really want to go fishing today in the cold. However, I thought the fresh air would help, lol, so I got on with it.

I got myself a breakfast at Wetherspoons and was soon at the car park at Windmill. There seemed to be a decent turnout which was good, and I kept myself fairly distant to avoid passing on the lurgy. The draw soon came, no idea what was a good peg but I got 11 which is right at the end of the lake and today out of the Easterly wind.


The peg looks nice with an island chuck but I reckoned that would be to shallow today. Reeds to the right, and plenty of open water. I set up a straight lead with 0.17 to 16 KKM-B, a pole rig for by the reeds and another 4x12 with 0.15 and 16 PR478. I really didn’t feel like setting anything else up to be honest and just wanted to sit down.

When we started at 10am I fed a small amount of micro and corn at 14.5m, then tried an early look by the reeds for any resident carp. I didn’t get any a carp just a 1/2oz perch, so went onto the long pole. The float sat there for about 10 minutes and then finally dipped under, missed it! About a minute later another bite saw the elastic come out, a nice early common carp about 7lb. Shipped out again waited about another 10 minutes for the next bite which I hit, carp number 2 was soon in the net. It was pretty much a repeat next drop, and three carp for 16lb were in the net. The next carp I hooked came off just as I was down to the top set. I had to wait a bit longer for the next bite, but it was worth it as a 9lb mirror was netted. An hour gone and 25lb.

John Osbourne over on peg 10 had a slower start to me, but at the end of the second hour he had also had a few a the long pole and I was still just ahead. But the pole was now dead and I chucked the lead out, with double corn on, to another part of the peg. After about 20 minutes the tip flew round and another carp came to the net. I cast the lead to the same spot but nothing happened. Back to the reeds, nothing, out long on the pole and another carp after a long wait. I didn’t realise it, but that was my last bite on the pole. 

With about 90 minutes left I had another carp on the lead, but alas try as I might I couldn’t get another and I never had a bite in the last 90 minutes. Sadly for me John had a couple more carp on the pole, with his last one hooked a minute to go! I knew my poor last 90 minutes would cost me, and it did!

Top 6 on the day were…

1. N. Sanders peg 1. 135lb 10ozs

2. M. Boundy p20. 66lb 2ozs

3. J. Osbourne p10. 55lb 7ozs

4. D. Keen p6. 52lb 14ozs

5. G. Welsh p22. 50lb 5ozs

6. T. Ford p11. 47lb 15ozs


Silvers

1. N. Sanders 3lb 3ozs

Nick caught on waggler and maggot and later on the long pole, he said it was solid in front of him, but fair play that’s a good weight on a cold day. One more carp might have seen me sneak third, but I only lost one and everyone loses a few. Still I can’t complain I had a few fish and got some fresh air ☺️.  Got the teams of four next Sunday on the river, looking at the weather forecast could be blankety blank 🙈.

No comments:

Post a Comment