Sunday 20 October 2024

Commercial House Round 4 - K&A canal


 Strange week, lots of rain forecast and I was supposed to be fishing the second round of the ATWL up at Chippenham and Melksham. Friday it rained so hard it woke me up, I wasn’t surprised that Saturday morning the decision was made to cancel the match on safety grounds. No fishing for me then, but then Mark Harper asked if I wanted to fish in his place for Thatchers on the commercial house on the canal just outside Bath, so I accepted. I had to do a bit of last minute prep for rigs and hooks of course, but got it all done before I went for a meal and a few beers with Wendy.

I woke up Sunday morning before the alarm, it wasn’t as wet and windy as I expected, but the forecast was dire. I was at the draw nice and early and paid the team pools, this was necessary as Rob Manns had forgotten to set his alarm and was going to be late lol. I asked team mate Guy Manton to draw, but as the draw began he was nowhere to be seen, and I had to draw. I pulled out balls A and 1, and that meant as I was first on the sheet I was on A1, end peg. I was going to be between the George and Meadow Farm, not the best area always but having end peg was mega. Guy was in B and so said he would follow me.

On the way out of Bath I had a bad feeling about the van, pulled over and saw my left front tyre was flat. Guy stopped and then together we spent 45 minutes getting the spare tyre fitted. Guy was a massive help, and I was glad the spare had air in it lol!

I finally got to my peg which was unfishable as a boat was moored in front of it FFS.. moved down to a small gap between two boats and had 45 minutes to set up, I was hot and sweaty from the tyre replacement and the walk from the George to nearly Meadow Farm bridge. I set up in double quick time and put just three rigs up, 4x14 with 0.08 to 18 PR311 for bread at top set plus one. Another 4x14 with 0.09 to 16 PR311 for fishing 10m with gbait, worms and casters, and a 4x12 for fishing across. The canal has a bit of colour in it today.

I started one minute late, and began on the bread line, it took me 5 minutes to get my first bite, a fairly small roach. A minute later another small roach, and after 15 minutes things got going with regular bites from 2oz roach. I had a good first 90 minutes on the bread getting 3 12oz skimmers in amongst the roach, but it then died.

I put another section on and went deeper on my bread rig and fished over a gbait and squatt line, hardly a bite, so over to 10m. I tried worm and had one 4oz roach, then had a couple more on maggot, but this was very slow. I came back to top set plus two and now started catching on pinkie, roach, and a couple of hybrids. Had a good run here before it died and leaves were a real problem.

I had a bad 30 minutes catching very little I wanted to fish across but the leaves were a nightmare, causing me to tangle a rig. With just over an hour to go, the boat to my left moved off leaving my peg a tad messy. I went for a quick walk and a wee, I was beating the two lads to my left. Little video of the barge moving off and the lady waving goodbye 😂


Back on my peg and the far bank had cleared of leaves, meaning I was able to try my caster line, and gbait line. I had 1 roach on caster, but the gbait line was solid and it was a roach a chuck on pinkie. Then the leaves returned and it was back to trying to get a rig in, annoyingly another rig got tangled due to hooking a leaf that twisted up. I still managed to put a few roach in the net. 

Match over, I was left a tad frustrated by the boat and leaves, but I had only dropped one fish and bumped one, so that was satisfying. It was nice packing up in the dry and the sun was warm. I was weighed in first in the section and my fish went 11lb 3oz. That won the section with Dave Lewis coming second with 8lb by the old lock.

Many people endured a dire journey back as the ring road was closed, but I saw on my sat nav the issue and got back to the pub first! That was lucky!

Team faired ok but still not enough to get the better of Lobby’s who are romping B division.

A few pegs near the bay and brambles in D section produced the top 3.. 

Mark Bromsgrove 23lb of skimmers

Graham Hunt 19lb of skimmers 

Kev Boltz 2 ounces less than Graham. 

I didn’t get pictures of the results today, so apologies. I think I was 6th. A bit of an eventful day to say the least, at least I got home in one piece, even if a bit knackered 🤣🤣





No comments:

Post a Comment