Sunday, 26 July 2026

Division 1 National Aire & Calder Canal / New Junction Canal


Some time ago a team was assembled from my Thatchers squad for the National. I didn’t know the venues but put my name forward if required, and I was needed as it turned out. I ended up being one of the five anglers who would be fishing the Aire & Calder, the other five on the new junction. These canals are near Goole and it is a 200 mile drive to get there for me, more for many of the team. It was decided to not practice and instead focus on not getting relegated lol.

I spent some time researching my venue and found a few good videos to give me some idea. It’s a wide shipping type canal with depths up to 14 feet. Skimmers, bream, roach and perch were the target species. The section draw was done in the week and I was drawn D section around Great Heck, but my 48 peg section was actually split into 3 separate parts of the canal so 6 end pegs and who knows how similar the fishing would be. I did a lot of prep and had my groundbait mixes decided on. 

Met up with the team and we had a great curry in a place called Howden (maybe they make the kitchens there lol). A relatively early night for me at midnight after a bit of refreshment.

The next morning I hoovered up the Premier Inn breakfast and was raring to go. Martin Barrett did the team draw and we were soon off to our pegs. I had to drop Rob Jones off to his section first as his van had broken down on the way up. It was a nightmare for Rob and we all felt for him. Got to my part of the canal and it was just a 10 peg part, most anglers were telling me it was not good.

Looking up the canal, the first peg was not far past the gate, I was a few more pegs down.

My peg, no features here just tins. Note the calm water which I knew was not going to last long.

I had been told the night before that the wind would make pole fishing impossible in places, so after getting my gear ready I put my tip rod up first. I cast a lead out and clipped up about 5m off the tins where I was happy with the depth. A cage feeder with 16 N20 and 0.11 powerline was my chosen tackle. Groundbait was Thatchers Green and F1 Green. By now the wind was really getting up, I got a couple of top sets and three more sections of pole out. Bit of a waste of time the pole as you will read.

We started at 11am, I fed some gbait on the pole and then cast the feeder out, rather than quick casts just feeding, I left the feeder in for 2 minutes. Second cast and I had a bite that banged the tip and dropped back, fish on. Felt like a skimmer as I reeled it in with no trouble, but about a third the way out it started fighting and banging on the rod. Got it under the rod tip and another bang and the hook pulled out. Oh dear I thought…. I’m guessing it might have been a hybrid but never saw it.

The next twenty minutes brought odd indications but then a 10oz skimmer settled the nerves. I had another smaller skimmer, but on the hour decided to get a quick look at the pole line, 1 bite 1 tiny perch. Back on the feeder and I had 3 skimmers in the second hour but then it died. 1 more perch on the pole was my last fish on that line.

The wind got worse, I really had to work hard to cast the feeder accurately. The wind was blowing all sorts of crap on the inside of the canal and it kept catching my line. All I had for the next 2 hours was a perch and a Ruffe. 

Going into the last hour I knew I had to sit on the feeder, there was always the chance a few skimmers would feed. At 3:15 I had one, then with 25 minutes to go I had three in three casts. All on red worms and the bites were not shy. Match over, 9 skimmers.

As is often the case the scales arrive quickly and had come from the far end peg who was leading with 3.29 kilo. My fish went 2.98 kilo and that was enough for second in my ten pegs as the other end peg was third. As you can see in the snapshot below it was tough in these 10 pegs.

I saw later that the first ten pegs were really tough and I beat all of them, but the middle 28 peg area was much better and 18 people there beat me, so I ended up with 20 penalty points. To be honest I was really happy with my result given the weights around me, and the lost fish probably cost me 5 points only. I had enjoyed battling the wind and trying to trick the skimmers.

Sadly the team didn’t have a good day, although many had some nice catches they weren’t in the best areas. We ended 30th and had avoided relegation.

Congratulations to Barnsley on another win, and also to DGL coming third beating many local teams.

I should have been fishing round three of the pairs at Newbridge today but had asked Shaun Townsend to cover for me. He and partner Rich Lacey both had a few bream and both were second in their respective sections, so we are in the top three at the moment. Round 4 next week.

Now time for some sleep 🤣🤣🤣


No comments:

Post a Comment