Sunday 13 September 2020

2001

 My plans for this weekend were with fishing involved but not by me, I instead tried to lend a hand where I could to the juniors fishing a match at Bitterwell Lake. 18 young uns, boys and girls, lined up to try to win one of the great trophies and prizes, though for some just catching a fish would be their best prize. Paul Isaacs is doing a great job here trying to promote angling to young kids, and seeing 18 here was great. The level of skill and tackle varied immensely and some of the kids had parents or grandparents on hand to help them, for example Kev Millard and Martyn  Smith were there with family. I think only one young lad went fishless, and he was using a whip lent to him by the fishery, but as his sister managed to catch a couple of fish I think he wants to go again. Well done Charlie Isaacs winning, but only by a couple of ounces as the top 3 all had 6lb in 3 hours. It was a silvers only match, and I saw a 3lb bream, and a couple of near 1lb roach caught, so some great fish for these kids. It was a great success and there were many prizes as a lot of anglers at last weeks Commercial House gave some groundbait and buckets towards the match.

Back in August 2001 I was still competing in the Superleague, but had time to fish some open matches too. One open was at Newbridge on the Avon, where I drew peg 18. Well nearly 20 years ago the approach was much different from today, I set up a 3AAA waggler with a 22 to 0.10, with 7 no 6, 3 no 8 and 1 no 10 down the line. I had a nice day feeding hemp and maggots to end with 10lb of roach, chublets and hybrids. Won my section, but nothing else as 90lb of bream won this match on Kelston Straight!

A couple of weeks later I was on the banks of the Huntspill on peg 77, fishing an open as a practice for the super league. I started on the feeder but it was a complete waste of time for me and after an hour I went onto the pole where I had been feeding hemp and maggots, though I didn't feed much as it was quite tough. 4x14 and 4x18 floats with 22 to 0.10 were used and I caught roach, perch and 3 eels for a total weight of 3 kilo 700g. A nice weight but not enough to win the section. Two weeks later I was back for the super league, peg 111 was my home this time. This time I caught a few fish on the feeder; 2 very small skimmers, 2 eels, and 1 big roach. I cast right over and caught with little bits of worm or red maggot. The pole line was poor for me today, but I did lose a big eel which cost me a few points, as I only had 8 points from 12. On the day a number of anglers caught gudgeon and perch on a close 4m line, something I hadn't even set up and so that was a lesson learned. Still my team won the day and ended the league 2nd overall which was a great result for us back then.

I fished my first Commercial House round on September 30th, this match was on the Avon around Melksham, I got a peg at Portman Road. I was told I should ball it in with 6 jaffas, so I did just that! I caught tiny roach, bleak and minnows on the pole, fishing with a 22 to 0.09. I only had 3lb 6oz, so was amazed when the 14 peg section was weighed in that I came 2nd in it. Team won the day, so great start. The following week the first ATWL round was being fished around Chippenham. The team draw put me in the town, I was below the town bridge and basically right outside a pub. I was told I would struggle to beat the anglers by the bridge. I started on the gbait feeder fishing across the river, with hardly any bites I was soon on the pole, but this was just as bad with just a couple of bites. Back on the feeder and I could get a bite every cast now, problem was it was from gudgeon! I stuck on a dendra worm and decided to stick with this as I needed snookers I thought. I had a perch and skimmer on this and then with about 2 hours to go had a right wrap round but missed it. I couldn't believe it, the bait was gone. Out again and a few minutes later exactly the same wrap round bite and fish on. Was glad I had 0.14 on a this fish went well, and it turned out to be a tench of about 3lb. No more wrap rounds so I assume both bites were from the same tench. I didn't catch much after this but word was it had fished hard bar the angler above the bridge catching bream, and Martin Reyatt getting some roach below. The scales came down and 20lb+ was top but Martin was second with 5lb 15oz which I was sure I didn't have. However, Martin had a few choice words when my fish went exactly 6lb lol. Team won as well so great start again.

On Sunday October 15th The next round of the Commercial House was fished on the Hunstrete lakes complex, I was really hoping to be on one of the two new lakes but was on the old lake. I was up one end and really struggled, couldn't catch any skimmers, scratched 3lb 10oz of roach out on a waggler, only 9 points from 14 for this, but again the team won. Sure as night follows day the following Sunday it was round 2 of the ATWL, this time at Newbridge. The river was very coloured today as it had been flooded, but I didn't pick up hardly any rubbish on the line which is always a good thing. I remember this match quite well, but my diary is still needed to get the details right. I was drawn on the Kelston side of the river, above the cycle track bridge in the cow drink, when you see it you couldn't pick a nicer peg you'd think with water on. Well this day things just weren't going to plan for me, I never had a bite in the dead still water, and had to fish the groundbait feeder down the middle to get the odd bite. With an hour to go I was struggling, I had 5 eels, 2 small hybrids abd 1 roach, Nigel Wyatt above me had a bream, and Lee Trivett fishing for arch rivals Bathampton also had a bream. It would be gutting to get poor points and Lee win the section, but it was going that way. With nothing happening I put a size 10 hook on and fished a whole lobworm, the tip started to bounce around, and eel bite I guessed and so I would wait for the rod to go right over so signal the eel was hooked. However, the tip just kept bouncing a little bit, and eventually I couldn't resist and struck. Well flip me I had hooked a bream and landing that one with about 50 mins to go was a bonus. Twenty minutes later and the rattling tip syndrome again, but this time it finally did go over, but no eel, another bream. Match over I had got out of jail, and ended up winning the section with 11lb 6oz, and Triv was cursing his (or rather my) luck lol, I know Triv remembers this day too as he mentioned it one night when we were out on Thatchers duties. Team won again. After having a really poor spring and summer Autumn was being kind to me in 2001, and more success was to come, but that will have to wait for another time.

There won't be a blog next week because I will be in a WIFI free zone, but plenty to write about the week after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment