Sunday 15 May 2022

Non Fishing

 I thought I had better put a post on my blog this weekend as I have not been fishing for a couple of weeks and next weekend I shall also not be fishing. Just got a lot of other things going on and will be back on the bank I hope 29th May.

Better explain what has kept me off the bank though. Well last Saturday was just an amazing day for me, my family, friends and fellow Gas Heads. A 7-0 win at home, to gain automatic promotion is simply the stuff of dreams, and I don't care what anyone says, it truly is a day I'll never forget. The celebrations went on long into the night down Gloucester road as the adrenaline seemed to keep the effects of Thatchers Gold at bay. Eventually I had to get home, and was glad to fall into my bed. I was booked in to fish Windmill the following day, but when I woke up and could hardly walk to the bathroom I knew I was going to have to give it a miss. I sent a text to Gerry Welsh to advise of my no show, it's the first time I think I have had to do that and was most apologetic. I did pop out to the fishery when I felt well enough to do do (just before 4pm) and saw a few fish caught and the weigh in. I offered to pay the peg fee / pools but Gerry wouldn't take it from and said I had a perfectly good excuse, Up The Gas!

This Saturday I was very happy to be attending a 1 year old Birthday celebration in Birmingham, along with my wife and two daughters. It was a celebration of the campaign "Her Game Too" reaching its 1 year. If you did not know "Her Game Too" is all about female fans trying to raise awareness of sexist abuse in the game and to help clubs put in reporting systems, and get more women and girls to watch and play football. They sell merchandise and raise money and all of the profits go towards grass roots football. My eldest daughter is one of the co-founders of the campaign and what she and the other girls have achieved in 1 year is simply amazing. As you can imagine I fully support the campaign as why would any father /  husband not want his kids and wife to feel comfortable and safe at a game of football. Unfortunately not everyone see's things the same, and the girls have had at times some quite terrible stuff to deal with on social media and even at games. However, they keep on going! They now have over 157 clubs partnered with them, Bristol Rovers and Bristol City of course, and some teams in the Premier League like Everton, Leeds, Brentford and more. They have many supporters and Calum Best (son of George Best) who is chairman of Dorking Wanderers Ladies team, contacted them some time ago to get involved. Yesterday he did the opening speech of the event and stayed and watch the FA Cup final with everyone.  With mentions in Parliament, TV, Radio and winning awards, this campaign and its growing list of supporters will only go from strength to strength. 



Apologies for the non fishing post, but as you can imagine I am a very proud Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Matt Bridgwood15 May 2022 at 21:45

    Nice one Tim, Well done to your daughter. My girl (10) plays for downend flyers and we’ve been to watch a City women’s game with her club as part of the her game too.
    Brilliant that girls and ladies are becoming more involved in watching and playing football, girls football is really taking off, there are 3 teams in my daughters age group alone at downend.Attitudes are changing and when we go to City games there loads of girls, women and families in attendance.
    Enjoy your blog even though I’ve not match fished since silver dace !

    ReplyDelete