Sunday 19 February 2023

Lower Avon Teams of 4 - Newbridge

 Originally this league was 6 matches and it seems a very long time ago that we fished round 4 in November.  However, with two rounds cancelled it was decided that there would only be 5 rounds and so today was the final round. If you’ve read any of my previous posts then you’ll know Newbridge has been fishing pants, so today was potentially going to be a bit of a lottery. My team were in second place just behind Bathampton Blue by 1 point, so all to play for.

Mark Harper gave me the team pools and sheet and told me to draw for us, not sure that’s a good idea 😆. To be fair I thought the pegs we got were ok, Lee Trivett on 3,  Mark on 20, Rob Manns 46 and I was on 63 which was end peg. Would the fish feed this time?

Got to my peg and saw I would have to fish about 5 feet off the water. No big deal am used to that.


Set up the usual groundbait feeder with a 14 N30 to 0.15, a 4g bolo and two pole rigs; a 2g pencil float with 20 N10 to 0.08 and a 3g rig with 16 N20 to 0.12.

I had a section of good anglers to compete with, Kev Dicks on 61, Mat Challenger 59, Derek Coles 56 and Lee Gregory on 54.

We started at 10:30 and I spent the first 15 minutes on a bread feeder, didn’t get a bite. I then cupped in 7 balls of Sonubaits black lake and soil which contained some joker and a small amount of pinkie and caster. I went straight in on the 2g rig with a single red maggot on the hook, had a roach first run through and another third run. No more bites so put a pinkie on and caught another roach, and had in total 10 roach here after the first hour but then it died. I got 1 tiny roach on bloodworm but nothing else.

Back on the feeder but now putting some casters in the mix and trying red maggots on the hook. I had a small rattle on the tip first cast, but bait was untouched. About thirty minutes later had another bite but missed it, maggots were nipped, roach i guessed. My section was fishing poor, and I was winning it at this stage.Couldn’t get another sign after this. Kept trying the pole and the bolo but never got another bite here all day. About 80 minutes to go I had a roach on the feeder out of the blue. That was my last bite, but around the same time Mat had a 2lb chub on the feeder. Match over.

I had the scales and had to weigh two sections so started with myself. My roach weighed exactly 2lb.


Kev had 3 roach for 9oz, then Mat’s chub and 3 roach went 2lb 10oz, Derek 3oz and Lee never had a bite. In the next section Craig Pinker had a great last 90 minutes catching 12 bream for 51lb but would he win the match!

It was all very tight on the team front on the day with four teams on 12 points and one on 11. Unfortunately for my team tying on 12 points was not enough for us to catch Bathampton, Mats Chub proved costly. We came second overall, congratulations to Bathampton Blue on winning the league.


On the individual front today Paul Isaacs drew the sexiest peg at Newbridge recently, 18, and he fished a great match on the feeder with bread to catch 59lb of bream and 1 chub. Craig Pinker was second, and Ben Matthews 3rd with 13lb of chub. 


I’ve enjoyed this league, I’d managed two section wins and three seconds, decent enough. Not fishing next weekend, then back up Newbridge week after for the lower Avon champs. Bream or bust!





No comments:

Post a Comment