Wednesday 26 June 2024

Acorn Fishery Costcutter


 After my lovely day here a couple of weeks ago catching tench I just had to come back and see if I could catch them again. I got booked in for the Tuesday costcutter and ordered some casters, I decided for me to enjoy myself I would fish for silvers again. Made some more deep rigs for the middle of the lake, and tied some hooks up.

I woke up really early Tuesday morning and finally decided I wasn’t going back to sleep so got up. This meant I had time to visit H&H for a breakfast roll and tea before getting to the fishery.

I paid my pools to Eddie Wynne and then went to the shop to pick up my casters, but none were available! Not to worry though as John Bradford was fishing and bringing the bait with him. It was nice to see John and a few others I’ve not seen for a while like Merv Sivell. Like I said I was here with a single minded approach for the silvers, and the man to beat was John Turkey Thompson who had won the last five Tuesday silvers prizes. Into the draw bag and out comes peg 5, oh dear, probably one of the best pegs on the lake for carp. However, I couldn’t really fish for carp as I had no pellets, so I was sticking to silvers.

Peg 5 is on the island, and it and peg 1 are at each end of the island giving you plenty of water to go at. Obviously conditions today red hot and sunny were much different to last time I was here, so I didn’t think the weights would be as good and so I decided I would try 2 lines today, a top set plus sections in front, and a line slightly to left at 11 metres, there was only about 2 inches difference in depth but I set up two rigs, a 4x14 for close and 4x16 for longer both had 16 GPM to 0.13 for starters. Martin Reyat rang me to offer advice and I did set up a pellet rig as Lee Waller gave me a bag of 4mm pellets. I knocked up some gbait which was a mix of F1 dark and sweet skimmer, and had worms and dead red maggots as well as casters.

Starting at 10am I tried the pellet at top set, not a bite so after 10 mins that was put on the roost not to be picked up again! I had started by feeding pots of casters on the whistle, and both lines were fizzing. Starting on the short line I caught 2 1lb tench but despite the fizzing no more. Out on the long line and a couple more small tench here on double caster, but again slow. I swapped between the two lines but was finding it hard to get more than 1 small tench and after about an hour the short line stopped fizzing. This prompted me to focus on the long line and by altering the amount of caster I was feeding I did manage to pick a couple of tench round the 3lb mark.

About two hours in I started feeding small balls of gbait with worm and caster in, it got me more fizzing and a couple more tench but also the carrassio seemed to like it! Carrasio are carp and so every time I hooked one I thought it was a tench and then I would see it and go bugger! I had also landed a couple of small carp. About halfway through Lee asked me if I had any skimmers and I said no. I then caught 3 skimmers in about twenty minutes lol. But I then had a really bad hour and caught just a few  non silvers! I tried a lighter hook and line but no difference, and then thought why not try my lighter rig. I plumbed it up and went out, and I started catching again slowly. I had more skimmers than tench in the last 90 minutes, and a lot more carassio and carp. I knew I would get carp trouble on this peg but it was still enjoyable fishing. Worm or maggots on the hook seemed better than casters today. When the match finished I had 42lb of silvers on my clicker (in two nets) and 50lb of carp. I had no idea what other silvers had been caught, but on peg 1 Simon Stacey had caught carp all day and was likely to be the winner.

My accidental carp went 51lb including this lovely goldfish ๐Ÿฅฐ

My silvers 42lb for a lovely days fishing.

Frame today..

1st Simon Stacey 245lb (pellets across) well done!

2nd Gary Bowden 204lb (paste, then pellets in margin)

3rd Gary Flinders 148lb (had 3 of his keepnets fall in the lake after the match, despite losing some carp it didn’t change his position.)

Silvers 1st Tim Ford 42lb.   2nd Turkey 36lb. (Sorry to end your run John ๐Ÿ˜‚).

Phew that was a hot one! And why is it that despite covering myself with sunscreen lotion my knees always burn? ๐Ÿ™ˆ๐Ÿ˜‚  It was nice to get home and have a couple of cold beers (whilst watching England aimlessly knocking a ball around). Full results further down, not sure if I am going to fish a match Sunday as England are playing… I must be mad. 



No comments:

Post a Comment