Sunday, 11 May 2014


Not sure if anybody is still looking in on my blog as it has obviously been inactive now for around a month. Thought I ought to put something on here so people at least know I am still alive lol!

My operation was carried out on the 9th April and at first it seemed all went well, other than my bowels being in a mess and then cutting them by accident so I had to have two joins. It became apparent after a few days that my bowels were not working (common after being handled) as I was being sick and bringing up wind, I needed my bowels to wake up so I could get some nourishment. Sadly they didn't and 1 week later I was looking like Michelin man as I was now 2 stone heavier due to being full of fluid. I was in a lot of pain, had a tube up my nose, and could only take shallow breaths as my lungs were compressed by the fluid. On Good Friday drastic action was taken with a tube put up my backside, and a picc line put in my arm to feed me with special food.

Over the Easter weekend the "butt drain" did a good job and around 5.5 litres of fluid came away from me! Sadly it seemed the fluid had done some damage to my right thigh as it was numb (still not right today) but the docs didn't lose any sleep over this. On Tuesday I was allowed to eat ice cream and soup, and on Wednesday some soft foods. Despite still not passing anything on Thursday (2 weeks after the op) I was sent home.

The fun began at home as the food started to work its way through me, and as I was also on lactulose (a type of laxative) thinks were rather "sloppy". For the first 5 days it was hell with me going to the loo 24 hours a day, I daren't keep count, and in absolute agony as my ass was ripped to pieces. Things are better in the last few days with (touch wood) no toilet visits during the night, but still 5 to 6 hours of doing my stuff in the day. I have little or no control at present and as a result I have to be able to get to the toilet very quickly, sadly that means I have been house bound. However, this is really what I was expecting to happen and so no surprise, but still its hard work. I just have to hope that things improve so that I can gain more control and the bowels get better at their job and reduce my toilet activity! As soon as that happens I will be able to get out and about, though I'm now like a stick insect since I've lost all condition.

I've added a new blog to those that I follow today, it is a blog by Dominic Sullivan (an excellent angler) and I thought his blog title was appropriate, it's called "Caught Short!", lol!

Today was the first time I felt well enough to pick up the lap top and do my blog, so that's a good thing, and I'll take everything 1 day at a time. Thanks to everyone for the messages of good luck etc, they have been very helpful to me. Hope you are all bagging up, and when I come back you'll let me have a flier, by that I mean a peg nearest the bogs!

1 comment:

  1. Tim, I wish you a full and speedy recovery mate.