Sunday, 14 May 2017

Windmill Fishery Open

After my last outing here I told myself to not come back for a while, but I did not take my advice. I was going out for a few bevvies Saturday night and really didn't want to be getting up early or travelling that far, which is why I decided to visit Windmill again. Saturday night was really good, to much cider, a lot of music and with good company. That is until I walked home with the wife and it rained all the way for 30 minutes.

When the alarm went off at 7am I knew I had not enough sleep, but had more than enough cider. I was slow getting going and was not going to be at Wetherspoons at 8am to meet Geoff Francis. A quick text to Geoff to ask him to order my breakfast and a tea, so that when I arrived I would not be late. That worked well and Geoff got a tip for doing me a favour. The breakfast stayed down, that was a positive. but a headache started and never left me all match really, still my fault lol.

At the fishery it was a low turnout, might be down to the tricky fishing at present I don't know. The pools and payouts had been altered, with the pools now a nice round £17! Well the lads who run were not that happy giving out thirty quids worth of change, methinks it won't stay at £17 for long. Checking my bait bag I was low on bait, well it was pretty much non existent after leaving the meat in the fridge. I bought a bag of 6mm pellet and some paste mix and I did still have some 4mm and 8mm from the time I last fished here. The wind was blowing hard again and it was going from more or less one end of the lake to the other, so would make fishing tricky again. I tried the same trick as last week and took the last peg left, well I'm off that method as I was on peg 1 which is the deeper end and I thought the wrong end of the lake. I decided to not set up my trolley and walk to the peg forgetting that peg 1 is a little further than I recalled, certainly further than peg 32 which is where I dropped my gear to begin with. Even Geoff had a good laugh at that.

I finally got some gear together and thought I'd keep most of the pole in the bag, set up a paste rig for top set in the left by reeds, and top set + 2 out in front. Also a straight lead and a pellet waggler in case the wind abated. I think my day was already shot by not going down a long pole route. I began fishing the lead to the island (no pictures by the way as the sun was blinding) feeding some 8mm over there, and feeding 4mm on the pole lines. Thirty mins in on the lead and no sign so an early look in the pole lines, nothing in front but a 1lb crucian in the margin. It took me 90 mins to latch into a carp which came on the lead. Whilst I could not see any carp moving in the shallow water I was getting liners, but no bites. I did try the waggler a couple of times but the wind was spoiling it and no bites.

I had another look on the pole, but the 2+2 line was rubbish and I never had a bite there, in the margin I caught another crucian. I took another couple of carp on the lead, including one getting on for 10lb, but it was not going well. With just under 2 hours to go I had my 5th carp, this came from the margin on paste, and when I lost one soon after I thought the day might end well. Sadly other than another crucian that was the end of the margin, and no bites on the lead. With about 10 mins to go after a storm passed close by the wind dropped and I was able to fish the waggler, and I could see a couple of carp by the island. Tom Baker walked behind me with the scales and I told him I had not yet had a bite on the wag, and next cast I hooked a carp. It was hooked outside the mouth but was landed. I missed another bite and that was the end of the match.

My three crucians weighed 3lb 3oz, and my 6 carp 36lb 9oz. 39lb 12oz was not enough for any coin.

The winner on peg 24 was Keith Bilder with 58lb, he fished paste down the middle. The angler who came 2nd was on peg 10 (I missed his name) he had 56lb mainly on the lead. Dave Wilmott got third with 46lb. Dave told me he went for silvers and only fished for carp in the last hour, he had 14lb of silvers which was top in silvers.

Well I fished a bad match today, I was too lethargic and made wrong choices of that I am sure. One or two more carp needed to sneak in the frame, I'm sure I could have done that. Still, it was a good night out last night lol!

No comments:

Post a comment