Saturday 17 June 2023

Viaduct Holiday day 2

 I must confess to feeling a tad muzzy Sunday morning,  but it was a feeling shared by all of us in the lodges, think we all got a bit over indulgent on our first night. We were on another Campbell open, again a sell out. I drew peg 110 which had produced 50lb of silvers the day before and I was told had not much carp form, and with Adrian Jeffrey on peg 135 this usually affects peg 110, so silvers attack again to start I thought. 

Adrian sat on 135 as the scum blew in.


My rigs set up today were the same silvers rigs, pellet rig for 13m down the LH margin, and the paste rig was readied from the start.

I started for the silvers again, but once again I failed miserably to muster more than a handful of small skimmers in the first hour. Meanwhile opposite me 4 anglers in a row we’re catching silvers steady and next door on 111 Gary Bowden was getting big skimmers on paste. I followed suit and got on the paste, but couldn’t believe it when I couldn’t get any indications. Gary was still catching and his peg was fizzing, mine was devoid of fish it appeared. A look down the margin produced one foul hooked carp which I landed and nothing more.

Back out on the paste and I saw my first fizz, told Gary this and 20 seconds later my first bite and landed a carp. 10 minutes later I repeated the process, but it was a flash in the pan. With less than 2 hours left I had just 20lb and had been mainly kept amused by watching the guys opposite getting plagued by carp, Nige Bartlett in particular was having a torrid time. However, much like yesterday my peg sprang into life on the paste line and I started getting carp, it coincided with Gary’s paste line dying, so guess the carp moved. I made a good charge to the end of the match, but with Gary getting a few late carp I thought I was still way behind him.

My fish weighed 125lb 4oz, nearly the same as yesterday, so I was consistent lol. Gary just pipped me by one fish to weigh 132lb 15oz, and he got the section money to leave me without a pick up today. Winner was in no doubt in my mind when Dan Squires drew 116 which won the day before, he didn’t disappoint and won with 190lb.

Another Viaduct regular Phil Hardwick was second with 142lb of peg 118. Silvers was won today by Chris Albiston with a fantastic 83lb 12oz of skimmers on peg 115. 

Back to the Globe for a roast dinner which we had preordered and it was to my liking. The lads joked that on the last two days I had been the comeback kid with my late bagging, with Gary suggesting I was like red rum galloping to the finish line 😂. Of course I’d like to be able to catch some fish in the first 4 hours if possible! 


No comments:

Post a Comment