Sunday 19 April 2009

Silverstone - Sun 19/4/09

No fishing this weekend, instead I was at Silverstone for a drive in Ferrari 360 Supercar! Although I had been looking forward to this for a long time, I have to admit to being slightly nervous when I was given the briefing by an instructor. The car would do 0-60mph in 4.5 seconds, and if the instructor thought you were capable speeds of 120mph were definitely possible!



I had 3 laps which were over in no time, but the thrill was amazing, and I managed to get the instructor (a retired Formula 5 racing driver) to shout at me a few times "brake!" as I went into corners to fast. I couldn't pick up the right driving line going into the various corners for the first couple of laps, and the instructor had to keep giving me advice. You had to look out for different colour cones which told you when to brake, or turn, or the ones I remembered the green ones which meant accelerate! On the last of the 3 laps I very nearly reached 130mph before I had to exit and this was when I got the biggest shout to hit the brakes! The amazing thing was, and they did tell you this before hand, you don't feel like you're going over 100mph as there are no other cars coming towards you or trees or signs flying past you don't appreciate the speed, until you need to stop that is! Here's a short video clip of one of my laps, the girl shouting "faster" is my daughter Emma, I was doing about 120mph here darling!



Back to the slow lane next weekend, and some sedate angling.

No comments:

Post a Comment