Sunday 10 January 2016

Final Commercial House Match News - March 1997

Well the drive down to Plymouth today was nice and easy, but on the way back the M5 had been hit by a deluge of rain and in less than 3 miles I saw 5 smashed up cars (all separate incidents) which I guess had aqua planed. One was up the grass bank on its roof and I hope the occupants got out OK.

The last round of the Commercial House was played out on the K&A Canal up at Bath, and I had a bit of feedback from the lads after to say the canal had fished really hard in places. Winner/s on the day were Colin Dance and Rob Randal who both had 10lb 8oz.  The knockout and individual winner of the league was Liam Braddell, well done him. In A division Bathampton Elite did well and won the day, but they lost out on winning the league overall to Thatchers Black who won by just 1/2 a point!! Thatchers Blue who I had fished for managed to avoid relegation and instead I think Sensas Wilts went down to B Div, with M&N Electrical getting promoted to A div, congrats to Mike Goodhind and team! That's it for another year, I hear we could have a couple of venue changes next year with KSD and T&B canal in, hopefully replacing the two canal matches up in Wiltshire which were not great.

I spent Saturday 1st March 1997 pleasure fishing the Horseshoe pond on the K&A canal at Bath, I struggled on the punch bread for just a few small roach. Fishing waggler with caster against a moored boat I picked up odd bites but some quality roach, with two of a 1lb. I had 7lb when I packed up. The following Saturday I was fishing with the Anglercare Southern Final team match on Gold Valley Lakes. I drew peg 17 on Gold Lake. I started the match fishing a maggot feeder but after an hour all I had were a couple of roach, meanwhile the guy to my left had a couple of carp and some skimmers. I tried the pole and caster to try and catch some decent roach, but this was also a struggle for me but I got lucky and hooked and landed a 4lb carp on a 3 elastic! Swapping between pole and feeder I was not catching and being beaten by many anglers and was told the two anglers at the other end of the section were way out in front. Then with 90 mins to go the angler to my left who had been catching stopped and my feeder line came to life. Fishing double maggot with an 18 to 0.14 I had 3 carp, 1 bream, 2 tench and 5 small skimmers. I ended with 29lb beating the guy on my left by 1 1/2 oz and coming 3rd in the 11 peg section, beaten by the end two pegs. The team just missed out on doing well, coming 3rd, having some good and bad results.

The next day and an open at Lovelynch lakes in Devon. I drew what was peg 4 opposite the island. For the first 2 hours I caught on a top set on maggots catching small carp until they vanished. I then struggled for an hour until I got a few fish lined up at 6m on maggots, and in the last hour they were bigger 2 to 3lb fish. I ended with 63lb 12oz and that won me the match!

Another commercial (well it was the close season lol) I fished was Moorlands Farm on Tuesday 25th March. This was the Jack Purchase Final (I had qualified for it by winning a match) and there was a big prize and a lot of top anglers fishing. I drew peg 3 on Moors Pool and was told no chance of doing well, but there was £30 for a section so this was my aim. I found the bottom of the shelf, which was at 7m, and fished here all day. I fed casters and and fished light on a 20 to 0.10 and caught roach and odd small skimmers by fishing over depth and dotting the float right down. My 11lb 9oz was enough to win the section and take some dosh home.

Not sure if I will fish next Sunday, as I will be travelling Friday and Saturday, might go for pleasure somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment